Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

LP Filter

Could do with some help here guys.

Looking at getting an LP filter so I can get longer exposures and I think I have settled on the Astronomik CLS seems to get the best reports. I might be being a little thick here so bare with me here :rolleyes: I image by screwing the T-ring directly to my focuser on my Europa 200mm Newt then just attach the camera to the T-ring as you would a normal lense (no adaptor) Question is I would prefer the 2" rather than 1.25 but how the hell do I fit the filter or should I say where do I fit it? (clean responses here) :wink:

Cheers

Alan

Hi Alan

I had the very same question when I bought a 2" Orion Skyglow LP filter for use with my Canon 400D. The supplied Direct SLR connection adaptor that came with my skwatcher attached to my T-ring fine enabling me to attatch my camera to my scope. I later found that decent T-ring to 2" scope adaptors should come with a threaded nozzle for 2" filters. My supplied skywatcher one was not threaded! (nozzle end).

After using insulating tape to attach the filter to it, I later decided it was far too messy and had to buy a decent adaptor that was threaded. All works like a dream now.

Vega

I have seen one or two images but they are now buried deep in the bowels of the imaging section. All the LP filters block out the sodum light. the better ones like the CLS block quite a tight band but the filter is still a very distinct teal colour. Colour makes it through from most of the spectra but you would have to boost the orange in the processing - the equivalent of dolby noise reduction I guess. It would be worth a try and, of course, it isn't a problem if you convert images to mono. Many DSOs don't benefit from colour.

Archived