Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

spc900 mod DISASTER and recovery

I am posting this experience in hopes that it may help someone else who finds temselves in this situation.Here's the story.I was attempting the mod as outlined in Boltonastro.org and in a thread here [spc 900 mod wiring].After completing all wiring connections I was trial fitting the cameras PCB boards into the project box ang did not notice that the wire to Q3 had gotten caught on the switch body as I was pushing the unit into place.I removed my fingers from inside the box and noticed the Q3 wire was detached.First thought was it just broke loose from bad soldering job.IT actually TORE OUT the solder pad and broke the leg off of Q3 module.GREAT,it's trashed.With nothing to lose now, I attempted a repair.First I peeled off a wire from an old data cable and stripped back about a 1/4 inch of insulation then divided the conducters into two leads and tinned them with solder.Next I cut one lead to about 1/16 of an inch and using the head of a small nail and hammer I flattened it to thin it down.Then I bent the longer lead straight up at the insulation and made another 90 degree bend a 1/16" up from the insulation.Now I slipped the short leg slightly under the Q3 unit and soldered adding just a little solder.Now I used hot glue to anchor the wire to the cams board.Next I pushed the longer lead down along the face of the Q3 unit where the leg had broke off and applied enough solder there to join both leads and connect to what was left of the leg.Tested camera and IT WORKED! Then using a small brad nail and locking pliers I heated the brad and grabbed a small drop of hot glue and glued over the connection and anchored it to Q3 module.Done and working.I hope this helps.

Archived