NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Cheshire - good locations for viewing

Hi Dave,

I'm involved with a light pollution mapping website, and Cheshire's our home patch, so we've got lots of data on the good and bad spots there. The link's in my signature if you're interested. You're very welcome to submit your own best spots too if you're interested.

I'm hoping to get out around the Roaches soon and get some sky quality meter readings there, but I'd guess it's a good bet for a dark site.

• 3 weeks later...

Not sure where in Cheshire you are, but a trip just into the peaks is a good bet. Even just going as far as Wildboarclough is a great improvement. Going the other way into North Wales, the area around Llyn Brenig is quite dark.

• 3 months later...

Myself and members from Macclesfield Astronomical Society use a number of dark sky observing site's.

These are, as Mark has said, all in the Peak District, and are on the Cheshire, Derbyshire Boarder.

All these site's can be googled if you want map's or direction's.

Pyms Chair Nr Kettleshulme.

Errwood Hall, Car Park, Goyt Valley.

Standing Stone, Car Park, above Macclesfield Forest.

Fernilee Reservoir, nr Whalley Bridge.

Gradbach Hill, layby, Near Leek.

Gradbach YHA, car park.

If you wanted to. You are very welcome to join in, a binocular observing night in October that is being run by me.

Read my blog for more details.

Archived