Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Nebula and galaxies

smegger

Hi well i am new to all this i have a Celestron NexStar 127 SLT telescope and i am buying a t adapter and t ring for my nikon d60 so my question is can i see nebula's and galaxies with my naked eye when just looking through the telescope or will that only really be possible when i start doing long exposure pictures ? thanks Graeme .

There are lots of nebulae and galaxies that you can see visually, 100's in fact. They will not appear at all like the photos to your eye though and most will be faint grey smudges of light, but they are visible.

I just love to tick another smudge off the list.

Same here, I ticked 77 smudges (galaxies) off the list in March :) with a C8, but a 5" scope should be able to find the majority. A good finder scope or goto is essential, as are very dark and transparent skies. My favourite of the last month was NGC 2903, a bright non-messier in Leo. M81 and M82 are also easily in reach of your scope.

Archived