Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

COUNTER BALANCE DOB PROBLEMS??

Hi SLG and all members!

I've come a cross a slight small problem, I only just installed the 2" Skywatcher low profile crayston focuser, and after trying out my Astro-vid Stella cam to fit. The scope decided to take a nose dive.

So an counter weight is needed to avoid this!!!

However I just looking for a perfect counter weight for it's size and weight which is suitable for counterbalancing when using the stella cam or 2" eyepieces which weigh an excessive weight of 1Kg, I would say.

Please does anyone have any suggestions??? :)

Hi Marty,

I own a 10" Lightbridge and was having trouble with the scope dippind down with the 2"eyepiece and barlow in.

I got some aluminium channel

post-21244-133877494296_thumb.jpg

then made a nut to go inside

post-21244-133877494304_thumb.jpg

This was bolted to the mirror cell

For the weight i got a 2kg piece of round steel stock through which i fitted a 6mm stainless cap head screw and tightend and threadlocked into the weight, i also glued a fibre washer to the weight after it had been painted

post-21244-13387749431_thumb.jpg

This is then screwed into the nut and tightened down in position by simply turning the weight

post-21244-133877494288_thumb.jpg

If you need to adjust the balance for different weight eyepieces and other equipment then loosen slightly and slide it in the channel the just tighten it down

post-21244-133877494317_thumb.jpg

Hope this helps

Clear skies

Thanks Brantuk,

Stuart, i know what you mean but it's fun coming up with solutions sometimes and they can be better designed and or cheaper than if the manufacturer did it! Just look at the altitude friction brake on the lightbridge! After thought?oh yes ! Could it be better? Definitely! mmmmmm what can i do about it?

Archived