Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Help - how do I convert star Hip numbers to SAO numbers?

I use Stellarium on my PC to orientate the night sky, and for star hopping - in this software package all the stars are given HIP numbers. However, my Celestron uses Nexstar which wants an SAO number entered to find a star. So at the moment, other than for the more common/brightest stars (which are listed under Nexstar), I cannot instruct guide my telescope to go to other stars that I find on Stellarium since I don't know how to convert a HIP star number to an SAO star number.

Does anybody know how do do this?

Thanks,

Martin

• 1 year later...
I use Stellarium on my PC to orientate the night sky, and for star hopping - in this software package all the stars are given HIP numbers. However, my Celestron uses Nexstar which wants an SAO number entered to find a star. So at the moment, other than for the more common/brightest stars (which are listed under Nexstar), I cannot instruct guide my telescope to go to other stars that I find on Stellarium since I don't know how to convert a HIP star number to an SAO star number.

Does anybody know how do do this?

Thanks,

Martin

I know this reply is a bit late, but the SIMBAD resource is marvellous for this.

Go to http://simbad.u-strasbg.fr/simbad/, scroll down to the basic search box, enter the HIP number and hit enter. The next page will list every catalogue designation for you.

Hope this helps.

I downloaded Stellarium 0.11 yesterday. The search facility now links to SIMBAD automatically. If you enter an SAO and there is a corresponding HIP it will go to that, if no correspondence it will simply go to the location of your SAO object. Can't vouch for how good it is as I have only just tried it.

Allan

• 2 weeks later...

Archived