NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Study of M33

gliderpilot

Last December I spent an hour with my glued to the eyepiece of my 8.5" Newtonian trying to pick out details in M33, the Pinwheel Galaxy, in Triangularum at x44 and x133.

Although (relatively) easy to locate, this galaxy suffers from a very low surface brightness and is therefore quite faint. Any details were therefore very tenuous but I did manage to observe some of the spiral arms - with a certain degree of confidence - as shown in the sketch below.

I also managed to notice a faint, globular like object. Any ideas what this is? I've looked it up on Stellarium, Burnham's and O'Meara's Messier guide without success.

Thanks in advance,

Mark

post-15958-133877439403_thumb.jpg

Impressive drawing - I don't think I'd have the patience let alone the time. I've only every managed to see M33 with my big binos as the extra FOV helps. It's easy to miss when you pass over it with a typical telescope FOV.

Not sure what the unidentified object is. It looks more defined than the other details - could it be a dust bunny in the eyepiece?

Nice sketching though :)

Thanks for the comments but I don't think it was a dust mote. I use a dob which means the objects are always moving so I would have noticed its transient nature as I nudged the scope to catch up with the sky.

You're right though it is relatively easy-ish with the binos as it is quite large and very dim.

Post Script:

Have placed a similar question on Cloudy Nights and have been told it's NGC604, a star forming region similar to Orion or Tarantular nebublae. Quite chuffed to be picking out star forming regions in other galaxies!

Interesting stuff Mark, this is something I'm going to have to try when M33 comes round again. Sounds a great idea to see if you can star hop aroind M33 and locate these objects. C39 a remote globular sounds interesting.

Fantastic sketch and observation Mark. You really have nailed some brilliant detail in M33 there. I have had a go at sketching M33 in the same scope (astro systems?) from a dark sky site. It was quite a long time ago when my observing skills were in their infancy. I do seem to remember pulling out brightness variations across the galaxy corresponding to some of the spiral arms. Never got NGC604 though.

This one is definately on my list with my 16" come the autumn! :D

Wow, you must be thrilled to have picked out the star forming region. Great sketches too... what do you use to make them? Anything I do 'in the field' is little more than dots made with a pencil.

Archived