Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

El Capitan USB problems

JamesF

Just to make people aware, there appear to be some niggles with Apple's USB code in El Capitan that I've been hit by in oacapture, but are also affecting others running completely unrelated types of USB device.

At the moment it may not be possible to say what will work and what doesn't, but if you're using OSX for astronomy and considering an upgrade it may be worth holding off for a while until these problems can be ironed out.

James

• 3 months later...
On November 27, 2015 at 02:31, JamesF said:

Just to make people aware, there appear to be some niggles with Apple's USB code in El Capitan that I've been hit by in oacapture, but are also affecting others running completely unrelated types of USB device.

At the moment it may not be possible to say what will work and what doesn't, but if you're using OSX for astronomy and considering an upgrade it may be worth holding off for a while until these problems can be ironed out.

James

I don't know if you will still see this after so long, but here is something that has worked for me on El Capitan with a new (2016) MacBook Pro:

1.  Disconnect your camera USB from the computer.

2.  Browse to the application oaCapture.app.

3.  Right-click and choose "Show Package Contents".

4.  Open Contents, then open MacOS.

5.  Double-click oaCapture from there.  

6.  Plug the camera USB into the computer.

7.  Choose your camera from the "Camera" menu.

I hope this helps.  This works on my MacBook Pro, 15" retina bought in 2016 with El Capitan, but this is the only computer I have tested this on.

NOTE 1:  If the camera is not recognized, choose "Camera->Disconnect", unplug the camera, plug it back in, and choose it again from the Camera menu.

NOTE 2:  The launching from inside the package is not required for camera recognition, but for some reason has been necessary for me to avoid the "Output is not writeable" error when trying to actually do a capture.

Archived