SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Setting up Eqmod

I am trying to get my head around Eqmod and work out what hardware I need in order for it to work smoothly.

It seems I need this cable: http://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/hitecastro-eqdir-adapter.html

(Is a remote/wireless option reliable enough? Do people use it for imaging or should I go for the cabled version. I read about some delays in signal that may affect performance. It does sound nice to be able to find a way to be control the mount from a warm room though but reliability is more important).

What hardware do I need in order to set up a gamepad to control the mount? It wasn't quite clear from Eqmod's website.

Thanks! gfa

ps: crazy stuff, this technology

The EQDIR cable is one route from computer to mount. The alternative is a USB to Serial adapter such as this: http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/usb-to-serial-9-pin-male-adapter-zp43wwhich connects to the cable that came with the mount and plugs into the handset. You then need to set the handset to 'PC Direct Mode' in the Utility menu.

Stick with EQMod, it is the only way to go, especially if you are planning on imaging. Lots to sort while it's daylight or cloudy!

Can't answer the questions about the gamepad as I don't use one. You can control everthing from the computer, so I've never needed one.

Good luck!

It just needs the Adapter to run EQMod, a Xbox wireless game pad will control scope movements nothing else hardware wise  its got a set-up section but its all pretty simple to get going, i have used mine with teamviewer controlling everything via a Powerline link from in my pc room...

You'll need the adapter for your mount and the prolific usb driver available from hitec astro website, them the eqmod software to control it, once you have connected the adapter and software, check in device manager to see which comm port the prolific driver is using, make a note of it, then open eqmod software, start, programs then setup eqascom, then make sure the comm port being used is the same one as the one you looked at earlier in device manager, then power the mount, start eq mod and everything should now work.

Regrading wireless Xbox controllers, they work fine but you'll need a wireless USB adapter, about £7 of e bay.

Most of these are fake ones but work ok on windows 7 and above machines, these are OK for visual or aligning the mount on a star, but now days I use astro tortilla so very really use it anymore.

It's all a bit of a learning curve but once you start using it you'll never use the handset again.

Many thanks. My Macbook (on which I run parallels) doesn't seem to have the RS232 serial port so I will be restricted to the Eqdirect-USB connection.

Has anyone tried out the wireless Eqdirect-BT solution? Does it work as well or are there delays?

A few additional questions:

Precise Polar alignment: can Eqmod do this or should I be using an independent solution for drift polar alignment? (Which? Is Alignmaster still the easiest? It seems to be the same or at least very similar to the handset's way of polar aligning. Have Synscan 'stolen' Alignmaster's way of polar aligning?)

Guiding:

Can Eqmod accomodate this or should I keep using PHD guiding?

Focus:

Does it do focusing with Bahtinov masks or should I be using Bahtinov grabber?

Finally, would you recommend Sequence Generator Pro? 

I'd like to refrain from having to learn a million of additional softwares. Learning all this is making my head spin. Two weeks ago I couldn't tell a telescope from a magnifying glass. Now I am reading up on pulse guiding and PEC  :Envy:  :eek:  :confused:

gfa

Many thanks. My Macbook (on which I run parallels) doesn't seem to have the RS232 serial port so I will be restricted to the Eqdirect-USB connection.

Has anyone tried out the wireless Eqdirect-BT solution? Does it work as well or are there delays?

A few additional questions:

Precise Polar alignment: can Eqmod do this or should I be using an independent solution for drift polar alignment? (Which? Is Alignmaster still the easiest? It seems to be the same or at least very similar to the handset's way of polar aligning. Have Synscan 'stolen' Alignmaster's way of polar aligning?)

eqmod can do a perfect polar alignment, there`s a simple but very good function in eqmod for doing this, loads of help about it on youtube, of course you need to make sure the polar scope on the mount is adjusted correctly

Guiding:

Can Eqmod accomodate this or should I keep using PHD guiding?

both work together, phd will take to eqmod and eqmod will pulse guide the mount.

Focus:

Does it do focusing with Bahtinov masks or should I be using Bahtinov grabber?

the choice is yours, i used to use the mask as it`s simple to do, but now i use FWHM in the capture software to do my focusing.

Finally, would you recommend Sequence Generator Pro? 

I'd like to refrain from having to learn a million of additional softwares. Learning all this is making my head spin. Two weeks ago I couldn't tell a telescope from a magnifying glass. Now I am reading up on pulse guiding and PEC  :Envy:  :eek:  :confused:

sorry i know nothing about the above software.

one piece of software i think is good is Nebulosity 3, i use it all rthe time as it`s easy to use and does it all, controls PHD guiding and allows to dither, controls focuser, controls filter wheel and controls camera, it also stacks the subs although i`m finding that bit a bit difficult to follow at the moment.

another good bit of software is Astro Photography Tool, APT, also controls everything and does a good job, although i find it alittle bit harder to use the Nebulosity, but it`s a lot cheaper.

my imaging sessions start with turning on the equipment, starting stellarium scope, i`m using and older version of stellarium, which in turn connects to eqmod and starts it, then i start stellarium, phd 2 and connect to mount and camera, start nebulosity and connect all the other eqiupment such as camera, focuser, camera,

click on a target in stellarium and slew to it, i also use astro tortilla to centre the target which i great but again might be a little too much for a beginner but when you have understood the set up it works a treat.

Your MacBook will have a USB port into which you plug the USB to Serial adapted that I linked to earlier... Just an option that could be useful. The eqdir cables have a bit of a flakey reputation I believe.

Eqmod will give you a rough polar alignment. Then use Alignmaster to get a much better PA - at least, that's what I do!

As said, guide with PHD2 connected through EQMod.

+1 for APT. It just works, with both DSLR & CCD, has plate solving, focusing, everything you need and is very good value. SGP has a good reputation, though I haven't used it personally.

Archived