Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Something missing?

Nothing to worry about..........welcome to SGL.

The Philips are the primary mirror adjusters, the small hex bolts  (Alan Bolts ) are the lock nuts, the other three holes would have held a protective cover, which is no longer supplied?

Nothing wrong with making your own, but may interfere with the small amount of air flow that can pass through the back of the telescope, whilst the scope is cooling!

During the Day align the 9x50 finder scope to the telescope? View some far of distant target miles away!, then lock the telescope in place with the tension handles.  I would use the 24mm eyepiece first, then to improve the accuracy, drop down to the 10mm EP. Next align the finder scope to the same target.The finder scope also has a knurled collar to improve the sharpness of your image, once that is set, it stays set. 

Next look down the focuser tube without any eyepiece fitted. can you see a circular small mirror and does it look equal in spacing in relation to the focuser tube your looking through ( there should be an equal amount of space around the secondary mirror in relation to the circle that you see which itself is the wall of the focuser tube ) ........if so, then  good.

Now look a little deeper? can you also see the three little edge marks on the primary mirror, your looking for the actual mirror clips, there are only three of them ( if does get confusing with all those reflections?)  there are some easy tricks to learn that help when you discover collimation!~    If you can see the three clips, then good so good.

If all this measures up, on your next clear night, put the scope outside, let it cool a little, bung in the 25mm EP, make sure the focuser is not locked ( look underneath the focuser......if locked, the focuser will not extend, but the wheels still turn ? )

The Skyliner normally comes well packed, and to be honest should be good to go from the start. If this is the case and you have confirmed the above then enjoy your viewing........if not, then you must now understand and learn about collimation, and how to collimate your telescope?

Enjoy your viewing..............

Hi Lancman,

Great scope to have, it ha a fierce reputation on SGL. I think the holes are for an end plate and extra collimation screws. I also think from memory the older models used to come with a base plate but the newer models not. Perhaps an owner of one can confirm or correct me on that.

If your scope works correctly I would not worry. You do not say if it is new or not, if used then it could be where the previous owner had modified the base.

That looks fine to me.

On the 200P F/5 newtonians Skywatcher include a metal plate that covers the back of the mirror, held in place by 3 screws that go into the 3 empty holes that you see on the back end of your scope. This plate is not used in the F/6 tubes that the dobsonains use. Most folks remove the plate from their F/5's anyway to aid mirror cooling.

The holes you see next to the Philips screws hold hex head grub scrws which are the mirror cell locking screws as Charic says.

Thanks for the replys. Totally missed the grub screws I thought the holes were empty!!! Bit strange the telescope came with allan keys but not one to fit the grub screws as mentioned. Off to the diy shop to buy one.

Archived