Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Issue with new Barlow lens...

I have a Celestron travel-scope (that I'm hoping to replace) which has an aperture of 70mm and a focal length of 400mm. When using my 10mm EP I can just about seen the rings on Saturn although they are incredibly small as is Saturn in my telescope. I recently purchased a 2x Barlow but when using it on even the moon for testing all I get is a white blur under all stages of focusing and with my 20mm and 10mm EPs.

I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.

Which barlow lens did you get and are you using it between the eyepiece and the diagonal or between the diagonal and the focuser tube ?

There are long and short barlows. If you use a long one in a diagonal, it won't insert all the way and that means that the eypeices will not focus anywhere near where they used to. Also, all barlows will move the focus point of the eyepiece a bit, often inwards. These issues, or a combination of them could be the cause of your problems.

I was using the barlow between the diagonal EP and the focuser. Should I take out the diagonal eyepiece and put the EP straight in to the barlow?

It is a Skywatcher 2x 'economy' Barlow. I believe that the barlow is a short lens too. It's 3 inches long.

I think I've fixed it. I put the Barlow in the diagonal instead of putting the diagonal in the Barlow and although it doesn't seem to fit all the way in now I can actually focus and see things perfectly.

I think I've fixed it. I put the Barlow in the diagonal instead of putting the diagonal in the Barlow and although it doesn't seem to fit all the way in now I can actually focus and see things perfectly.

Great - a bit of experimentation is always worthwhile :smiley:

When I use refractors I always put the barlow in the diagonal.

Archived