SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Keeping scope in conservatory

Hi, I'm new to astronomy and this forum. Just started out with a 5" Newtonian reflector and thinking about where to keep it. Got some space in our conservatory, which is very handy for moving it in and out on clear nights. However, our conservatory is south-facing and gets very hot in summer so I'm worried about damaging the scope i.e. warping/cracking the lens. Or even if there's no damage perhaps it would affect accuracy or collimation in some way? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks. 

Hello and welcome to SGL

I keep my scope in the conservatory in the cooler months but move it out once it starts to warm up.

The very high heat is not good for a scope, it won't crack the optics but any rubber or plastic parts will be affected and some of the painted components  may fade/tarnish

I had to get blinds for my conservatory after a 50 deg thermometer blew up after leaving it in there while I went shopping. Fortunately the 'scope wasn't in there at the time.

Do you have a garden shed & is there some space in that?

Our conservatory is West-facing, so does trap a fair amount of sun as it descends, even with blinds. When I eventually take the plunge with another scope, I'd probably keep it in the shed anyway - less issues with cooldown time :smiley:

Good luck,

A

Archived