Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

webcam advise

dazmoraz

hi all,

For mainly planet images would anyone know the next step up from the phillips spc900 and would it make much difference?

I feel I've reached a limit and without getting a bigger scope I'm wondering what's next.

Can you post some examples of your planetary images so far?  It may be that there's still more to be had from your current kit.

Sadly in terms of cash there's probably a fairly big jump to something that will show a decent improvement on the SPC900 unless you're patient enough to wait for things to come up second hand.

James

If you have the 150P as indicated in your signature I suspect that the scope is the limiting factor at this time.

Most planetary imaging is done with a Mak/SCT so a focal length of 1500mm or more and then there is usually, or often, a 2x or 3x barlow/powermate in the optical train making a focal length of 4500mm and above.

Problem is adding say a 5x barlow/powermate just is not sensible on the 150P.

I know there are imaging and visual setups and they are different, but within imaging there seems to also be DSO and planetary imaging setups and these are different to each other with little overlap.

Also what video lengths have you been getting of Jupiter?

Mars is out of sensible reach and Saturn is not really around, so it has to be Jupiter.

Just that Jupiter rotates fast and after about 90 seconds the features have moved too much to be stacked and achieve good results.

Yes, it would be useful to see some of the images and know if the original poster is using a barlow or power mate (and which one) and ascertaining what length captures are being collected at what fps with the spc. Using something with a faster frame rate capability like the zwo cameras will no doubt add some benefit, and if using a standard issue barlow replacing this with a powermate may contribute some benefit too. Is the scope well collimated? If not, this could help. As to how much these will help is difficult to know, but i suspect each may contribute a small improvement. But as ronin has sais, i suspect the next big jump in quality would be to go for a different scope with an inherently longer focal length like the skymax 150 or 180, or a celestron c6 or above.

Does anyone in your astro group (if not a member of one, join up to one) have a faster frame rate capability camera which you could have a go with on your current set up to see if there is much improvement?

James

Thanks for replying, Sorry i have been away so could not reply back.

post-10108-0-86558400-1430165975.jpg

post-10108-0-41563600-1430166865.jpgx3 jupiter.bmp

These are on a good night, the one with the shadow was a one off and very pleased with it.

I think they are meade x3 barlow, i stick with 10fps and for jupiter i dont do more than 2000 frames. Registax and sharpcap is the software.

Im kind of thinking bigger scope is the way to go but dont know what would be best. Ill still be sticking with planets for a while.

I struggle to get anything decent most of the time, not much over 35-40% quality image when stacking but i guess thats the british weather!

Cheers.

Archived