Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Internet based remote viewing

lynnm

HI, 

i'm not sure if it's a taboo subject. but i'm interested in any type of public internet based remote telescope viewing.

would anyone have any links to services that provide this as a possibility? ( preferably free )

the reason being is that i am hosting a scouting event in March, and the reasons are twofold...

1, the local weather could scrap my plans for using our local telescopes

2, the younger kids may not get the opportunity to see much as they may not be around for long period in the dark. 

so i'm hoping to see if i can try and utilise such a service for these cubs/scouts to use during our event..

any ideas??

Cheers

Mike

Not actually aware of any remote viewing sites.

There are ones that offer imaging services, SLOOH and one or two others.

These are usuall fee based, you pay whatever per month and can get say 10 or 20 or whatever images as specified by you. They email you the data file and images.

Now for "viewing" there was one mentioned a few days back - I did not read it, so no iodea who or where. I think it was a scope tracking something like the comet, or the passing asteroid. The scope imagery was fed to the net. This may or may not be normal.

I would suspect there are live feeds from scopes around the world, however I have no idea of which if any. You could also find that feeds are provided only when some event occurs.

Have you tried http://www.nightskiesnetwork.com/ who broadcast (stream) stuff for free and in real time.

It's mostly americans, so the timezone +8 may be an issue. But there are some europeans and if you ask nicely one or two might offer their services for a good cause.

Thats the only one i can think of. Ive seen a couple of South Africans broadcast there too.

If I recall the iTelescopes is a paid for service and it is for you to book time and get an image to process, say M33.

It is not I think a general telescope feed for general viewing.

I would guess the "problem" is what do you show ?

Pointing a scope at M31 sounds nice but for how long, and then what next.

I suppose the "sensible" thing would be use the Meade or Skywatcher/Celestron tour and leave the scope to do that.

Whether or not there is such a thing I have no idea, maybe check the websites of Canary Is observatories they would at least be on a similar time to us.

Also if I recall one (or two) of the UK universities have "small" observatories down there and maybe they just set a scope off on a tour when it is not in specific use.

Perhaps one of the scopes that searches for supernova has a public feed. Half a chance of that I suppose. They do a tour of galaxies looking for supernova, maybe you can watch the tour.

If you are going to Astrofest ask LJMU, OU, and UCLAN.

If they do not they may know some group that does.

Have a look at:

http://www.telescope.org/

Part of the Bradford Robotic system, they mention a webcam feed and there are a few, but I can see very little.

Equally people post images here that are to me completely blank, then someone else comes along and comments on them. So I may have a display problem of some sort.

Another is

http://www.bareket-astro.com/en.htm

Isreal based but it say  Live feed from the telescope, then typically says cancelled due to fog.

Try google and "telescope webcast"

That search looks to hav the most potential.

Search above turned up:

http://sunearthday.nasa.gov/webcasts/mtwilson/

That appears to have a world map with pins in for observatories, and from a quick click they offer webcasts.

Better say just clicked 4 and all report Off Air :mad: :mad: :mad:

Archived