SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Limitations of an alt/az Lx90 .... Attempting M42

Paul-F

With my setup, the prevailing atmospherics, the alt/az tracking (and some wind last night) there is a limit to what can be achieved ... :) I want to get the best of this setup as it is before spending (more money!) and attempt to image stuff that is within its (and mine!) capabilities to get up to speed. If its looking like a good proposition I will consider mounting the scope on a home-built pier/wedge combo solely for DSO imaging as its fine for imaging planets and visual use ... 

I used a home made mask to get focus - this is Rigel tightly cropped on a 1 second exposure with & without the mask to give an idea as to conditions:

post-20262-0-36299900-1422191993_thumb.j

Here are a couple of unprocessed subs from last nights effort on M42, the rest of the unprocessed ones are in the linked to location at various settings with the badly skewed ones thrown away ... any advice as to imaging targets and my 'expectations' welcome! Hover over the images to see the filename which has the settings embedded ..:

All subs here --> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0BxTvLCt_PsbLTjF3ay1Udlkwb2s&usp=sharing

post-20262-0-37112800-1422192401_thumb.j

post-20262-0-67597400-1422192344_thumb.j

post-20262-0-72285300-1422192309_thumb.j

Wheres the edit post button ????

Just to note that the above files have been exported as jpegs - I have all the raw files to PP later!

you cant edit your posts until you have made a certan number of posts, thnk its 100 or so

OK, ta. No edit for now then!

Anyway - have been trying DSS but it won't stack as it can't find enough stars and I have threshold set to 2%, if it goes higher it finds fewer stars, will try something else. I did process a HDR type image though to get this one so its a start!

post-20262-0-64678300-1422211537_thumb.j

have been trying DSS but it won't stack as it can't find enough stars

Try superpixel mode. DSS doesn't like big blobby stars - its seems to expect them only to be a few pixels across (which is not very helpful if you have a long focal length!)

NigelM

Try superpixel mode. DSS doesn't like big blobby stars - its seems to expect them only to be a few pixels across (which is not very helpful if you have a long focal length!)

NigelM

That helped - and the fact that I did not have the latest version of DSS payed its part! So here is my first stacked stacked set of a DSO - not impressed lol! Having read around this a bit more now I should probably get a reducer to image with this scope. Here it is but colour seems off ..

post-20262-0-90008700-1422227142_thumb.j

That's a good start! Personally I would use your frac for that neb as it's large and the Running Man neb is nearby. What mount do you have for that, if any? Or would you piggy-back on the LX90?

It looks as though your focus is a little off. Can you lock the focuser?

What processing sw are you using?

Alexxx

That's a good start! Personally I would use your frac for that neb as it's large and the Running Man neb is nearby. What mount do you have for that, if any? Or would you piggy-back on the LX90?

It looks as though your focus is a little off. Can you lock the focuser?

What processing sw are you using?

Alexxx

Thanks ...

As to the APO I bought it second hand a few months back, without a mount or accessories. I now have a used LDX75 mount in the post (as of today) winging its way to me as it happens so that will be my prime imaging set up. However, I thought I'd see what the LX90 can do and if its good enough I'll fit a pier into my plans for the garden but maybe that's a step too far :)

I am using Lightroom 5 ...

It's in focus as much as I can get it (the mask & my view indicate this) but the mount does jiggle the stars a bit and does not track perfectly - see the video below from the same session:

http://youtu.be/DQYWVpaV9a4

Does the mount have an autoguiding port, do you know??

Good luck!

Mount arrived today, seems hardly used. I have played with it and its currently tracking stuff from my lounge and slewing via autostar, lol. I can connect from the PC so can use a software guider when I get to that point ...:) 2 issues are apparent though - there is what seems like a dodgy connection for the HBX lead (have 2 to test with) into the mount socket - keep weight on one side and its fine. Also,the motor casings will bump into each other if star is low ... still sussing that one out but It kept selecting sirius to align on which was too low ..

Oh, had forgotten how to polar align accurately, could not follow the instructions that came with it but eventually remembered how I used to do it years ago .. lol!

Good luck with it. I'd have a word with the seller about the dodgy connection though!

A bit of gaffa tape saves the day. I ain't complaining though as it works and for what I paid I am happy with it. I even managed to see some stars tonight between the clouds so gave it a go in spite of the F6 gusting wind! Need a new thread as not M42 and not an alt/az lx90 :)

Archived