SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Which 4-inch refractor to get for impending Quark purchase?

cshahar

Hi Everyone:

I decided that I will be getting the Daystar Quark rather than a dedicated solar scope, just to have the versatility of using the scope for other purposes, and also because I really want to take solar close-ups. I am interested in 4-inch refractor models. I was hoping to get recommendations. The scopes I have looked at have various issues, although not necessarily fatal unless they are beyond my budget. I have looked at scopes from William Optics (no North American headquarters), Skywatcher Esprit (problems with first models), and various other manufacturers. My max budget is $2,500.

What would people recommend in 4-inch refractors, both in terms of quality and reliability: Vixen, Orion, Stellarvue, Borg, Celestron? What are you using currently, and are you happy with it for solar imaging?

Thanks,

-Charles

In your price brackets are the following:

1. Stellarvue SV105 Triplet (OPT is expecting a delivery)
  2. Skywatcher Esprit 100mm Triplet (comes with a nice suite of accessories) 
  3. Explore Scientific 102 Triplet (least expensive option)
  4. William Optics GT102 Triplet (second least expensive option)

I would exclude Takahashi 100mm fluorite scopes as I would be concerned with thermal shock of the fluorite elements.

Televue is also out as the price is above the range indicated, although getting one pre-owned brings the NP101 into the game.

If you plan to get the scope for other purposes (night time viewing) then buy a quality instrument as your budget permits it. The first 2 are the most expensive options and the last 2 are the least expensive options.

With this budget I would choose the SkyWatcher as it comes with 2" diagonal, field flattener, case, rings and D mounting plate, and is ready to use out of the box. 

But that's my personal preference so please feel free to ignore it!  :grin:

Good luck choosing a scope!

Archived