NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Second hand HEQ5 think to look out for?

lonebod

I'm thinking about getting a second hand heq5 pro mount. Just wondering:

* How long to mounts last for?

* Are they easy to fix when things go wrong?

* Where can you get spares?

* Are they expensive to fix/maintain?

Also, what should I be looking for when checking the mount out before handing over money?

Thanks,

G

Tricky to answer your questions fully but:

Mine is 8 years old from new. I would say it's now better than it was new. They need fettling

Depends what goes wrong but I am no engineer and can attend to most issues

Depends what spares you need. The most expensive thing is the control board I believe

Depends what goes wrong.....

If I went to buy a second hand one I would ask for it to be set up loaded and check the motors for excessive noise or clutch slip. Check the polar scope illuminator is functional. Check the housings for cracks. Check the power socket for wear ( very common). Check the Az and Alt bolts are in good shape. Ensure both counterweights are present.

Other stuff will only show itself when you start using it fully.

The heq5 mount bought new, is not cheap. I can only assume you are not ready to buy new, otherwise I would suggest you buy one new.

These Mounts do come up for sale in the second hand market fairly regularly. Our own Classifieds often throw one up, and this is the place I would choose first to buy second hand equipment.

Unfortunately, you have not accrued enough posts to avail yourself of that board. You need just over another Hundred posts to qualify.

But, one thing you must not do, is post meaningless stuff, just tto build your count up. The Moderator Team are quite strict on that practice, and if you are suspected of doing it, you will have more that you post, removed.

Astro Buy Sell UK are another source of used Astro  Equipment, and reasonably safe, although there are no 100% guarantees.

I would say to you, wait, until you have qualified to use SGL's Classifieds. Any potential purchase you are interested in, just ask all the questions you need to.

Such as, How old is the mount, Why are you selling it, has it had any previous problems. Are you the only owner. Stuff like that.

Be very careful Using EBay for Astro Equipment. All those who sell on EBay, are not rogues, but if a deal looks too good to be true, leave it alone. It may well be a dodgy one.

If you need any help before making a purchase, don't be shy in asking members here, ore even a Moderator will give you sound advice.

Don't part with money, unless you are satisfied the seller is on the level. 

Good Luck.

Ron.

Archived