SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Battery pack for ETX

Hi, new to the scene and just got an old Meade ETX-125. Wondering if I can power my 12V scope with a battery pack like this http://www.amazon.com/Poweradd-Pilot-Pro-Multi-Voltage-Compatible/dp/B00DN0KBXU/ . Its a battery pack usually used for devices phones, etc, but has a selectable voltage (5v, 9v,12v, etc).

I have searched and most people talked about large power tanks, but those are very hard to find/expensive in my country and shipping is not an option. I have also read that some people has success powering the scope with LiPo 3S battery (usually used in RC applications). Thoughts?

I suspect unfortunately no, has good capacity but you need to check if it will output enough amps, as its quoting mAh I suspect maybe not.

The battery pack stated spec is 32000mAh/118.4Wh with a DC ouput of 12V/4.5A .

A guy has posted his findings on how much current the ETX is using.

Idle - 130mA

Running all motors - 600mA MAX

Tracking - 200mA

Max current for the ETX125 doesn't even reach 2 amps so I think the battery pack can do its job. I might be wrong though. 

Sadly the connector that will fit only Meade (if it is the same as my larger Meade scope) is rather a lot of money for what it is, 20 Euros, another reason I would not buy another Meade scope.

The ETX series accepts 5.5mm male connector. For DIY, 10 pcs of these cost only $1.85 on ebay. You can probably get them in local hardware stores too.

Should allow the ETX to run for some time, there was a post some months back on the Anker unit that was 20,000mAh and the one you link to is 32,000mAh. Check for the Anker where you are as they are half the cost, and although smaller if they would cover say 2 hours use then maybe adaquate.

Also search out Tracer Li Poly units, they would be about the same cost (well the small one would) and they are likely more suited to running a scope. They do a 12v, 4Ah at £85 so about $140, little more but I suspect more suited.

Make sure that if you solder up a connector or two that you check at least 3 times that it comes out centre positive.

Archived