Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Jupiter- nearly half a rotation

Paul G. Abel

Greetings all, and happy 2014 to you all! The skies are finally starting to clear, and here is a recent strip map I made of Jupiter which shows almost a half rotation.  The seeing was quite reasonable for a time and I was able to observe some nice details in the belts and zones.

Best wishes,

-Paul

Jupiter_2014_01_04-05_2320_Visual_PAbel_

Stunning, Paul, really stunning  :smiley:

I get some of these details with my ED120 refractor and my 12" dob but I'm struggling to get near the clarity that you are pulling out with this drawing. 

This really shows what a keen observer armed with a medium size scope can achieve with dedication, skill and experience  :smiley:

Thanks for posting your work  :smiley:

Gorgeous Paul, it really is!

I'm out right now with my binos as it happens making the most of the clear skies, and we all know how rare they can be in the UK! Am I right in saying I can make our all 4 of the major moons along side Jupiter tonight, 2 either side?

AO/A!/A2 really stand out here Paul, I guess this is where the filters comes into play?

I also caught a very brief glimpse of that dark rift in the NTZ tonight although conditions were pretty poor so its nice to confirm it with your observation (even 5 days on!).

Thanks for posting this Paul, a really well documented observation as ever. :)

Archived