NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

APM 1.25" Herschel Wedge

russ.will

Given that I'm not prepared to splash Baader money, is there a good reason not to buy the APM 1.25" Herschel Wedge?

I was thining about pairing it with a Baader Solar Conntinuum filter, sooner rather than later.

Russell

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

APM do not seem to list a separate Herschel wedge under their own brand name, but the Lunt 1.25" I got from them is excellent (I got the 199 euro set, which includes a, after generous contributions from my parents for my birthday). This set includes the required ND3 filter and Polarisation filter. I also got a Baader Solar continuum filter with it. The images I get with my 80mm F/6 are great. The Intes Micro they also stock seems cheaper, but that does not include the two filters included with the Lunt.

I have just taken delivery of the APM/Lunt set a week ago or so. Very nice bit of kit and reportedly very close in performance to the baader big money one. I think a 2" one is only required you somehow have to use 2" eyepieces, or the scope is over 150mm, but don't quote me on that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APM-LUNT-Sonnenprisma-Herschelkeil-Set-1-25-/150998558071?pt=DE_Teleskop_Zubeh%C3%B6r_Filter&hash=item2328372577

The big advantages of the Baader are:

- unit stays cool

- in-built finder - the back shows the solar disk

- Baader clicklock attachmentt :glasses1:

Andrew

I have just taken delivery of the APM/Lunt set a week ago or so. Very nice bit of kit and reportedly very close in performance to the baader big money one. I think a 2" one is only required you somehow have to use 2" eyepieces, or the scope is over 150mm, but don't quote me on that.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/APM-LUNT-Sonnenprisma-Herschelkeil-Set-1-25-/150998558071?pt=DE_Teleskop_Zubeh%C3%B6r_Filter&hash=item2328372577

The big advantages of the Baader are:

- unit stays cool

- in-built finder - the back shows the solar disk

- Baader clicklock attachmentt :glasses1:

Andrew

If I read that right, the ND3 and polarizer are included?

Russell

Good job, Russ. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Only snags I've noticed so far is the corners are lethally sharp, and the polarising filter just comes in a paper sleeve, so a spare filter box would do you well.

Andrew

Michael, it's been lovely and sunny over here for about a week, although I think I've probably just cured that.

Andrew, noted. Time to rummage through the photo spares box, me thinks.

Thanks for the info chaps - Much appreciated.:)

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

Good job, Russ. I'm sure you won't be disappointed.

Only snags I've noticed so far is the corners are lethally sharp, and the polarising filter just comes in a paper sleeve, so a spare filter box would do you well.

Andrew

I put my 1.25" Baader Solar Continuum filter, which I ordered together with the wedge, together with the polarising filter into the single 2" filter box. Saves clutter. I had a few spare ones as all of my 2" filters are permanently stored in the filter slides of the Denkmeier Filter-Switch diagonal I have.

Michael, it's been lovely and sunny over here for about a week, although I think I've probably just cured that.

Andrew, noted. Time to rummage through the photo spares box, me thinks.

Thanks for the info chaps - Much appreciated. :)

Russell

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD using chubby fingers. Sorry.

Despite your purchase, I have had some stunning views of the sun in the last few days.

I put my 1.25" Baader Solar Continuum filter, which I ordered together with the wedge, together with the polarising filter into the single 2" filter box. Saves clutter. I had a few spare ones as all of my 2" filters are permanently stored in the filter slides of the Denkmeier Filter-Switch diagonal I have.

That's a good idea. I was hoping that the BSC box might be a candidate, but now It's arrived, it turns out to be a rather inconvenient size and shape.

Russell

Yes, the Astronomik style filter cases can hold 4x 1.25" filters. I have just started using one for my solar filters: polarising, continuum and #47, violet for faculae. Handy.

Andrew

Whilst we're talking about filters - I have the ND and polarizer that came with the wedge, plus a Baader Continuum as of today. Andrew, I note that you mention a #47 (Deep Blue?) for instance. Not that I'm in any rush, but are there any others worth having?

With a birthday less than a month away, I may be able to get someone else to pony up the cash for them! :)

Russell

I am quite happy with just the polarizer and the Baader Continuum. Baader also do a Ca-K band filter, but that is not recommended for visual (too much near UV), and is not really a replacement a true CaK module on a solar scope (the bandpass is much wider). Deep blue might mimic this CaK to some extend, without letting through the harmful UV.

Whilst we're talking about filters - I have the ND and polarizer that came with the wedge, plus a Baader Continuum as of today. Andrew, I note that you mention a #47 (Deep Blue?) for instance. Not that I'm in any rush, but are there any others worth having?

47 increases contrast on faculae, so you can see them further from the limb. Not an essential, since the continuum does this almost as well, but at least cheap!

Red and orange increases contrast on umbral and penumbral detail, and perhaps rare white light flares. Again, not essential...

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just wondering, for purely visual work would you guys say the upgrade to a Herschel Wedge from Baader Solar filter is 'worth' it?

I know the term 'worth it' is ambiguous but I mean it in the sense that if someone asked me would it be worth upgrading from the scope's supplied 10mm Plossl, to say, something like a Tele Vue, I'd say yes without hesitation. Is it that kind of difference in contrast, sharpness being seen?

Archived