Welcome to Stargazers Lounge
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Celestron AVX mount

- - - - -

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

gary1968

gary1968

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,749 posts
Howdy,

I am considering a return to imaging and am looking at different options kit wise. My original plan was to do wide field on a EQ3 Pro with a 1000d and various lenses.
While away with a local group last weekend I was made aware of a new mount coming from Celestron, the AVX. I have done a bit of web research on this mount and, despite there being little info just now due to the newness of the mount, it looks good and I think it 'might' be for me.
I have had several Celestron goto mounts over the years and my last GEM was a HEQ5. The HEQ5 was by far the most reliable from a guiding point of view but I MUCH prefer Celestron software.
So, I know there is little info but can anyone advise if the AVX will be compatible with EQMod? It is claimed that it will be better than the CG5GT, I always had bother getting my CG5GT to guide accurately / smoothly, do we know if / how the AVX will be better?
And lastly, I suppose FLO would be best to answer this, when will it be available and do we have an indication of price yet?

Cheers,

Gaz
Everything will be OK in the end, if its not OK, its not the end!

56N / 3.5W

Skywatcher HEQ5 Synscan, Skywatcher ED80, Canon 1000d, QHY5 & 8x50 Finder Guider. , Q

Chris Rowland

Chris Rowland

Star Forming

• Beyond The Event Horizon
  • 434 posts
I've had one for beta testing for a few months.

I find that it's ability to guide and image is better than the CG5. It's got improved motors, gearboxes and motor drive software.

Setting it up to do imaging has been trouble free, essentially use PHD guiding. I never managed that with the CG5.

It provoked me into buying a new OTA for it, a 6" RC, and I'm planning to use this with a ST80 mounted on top - if it's ever clear again.

Chris

gary1968

gary1968

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,749 posts
Thanks Chris, do you know of it will work under EQMod?

Gaz

56N / 3.5W

Skywatcher HEQ5 Synscan, Skywatcher ED80, Canon 1000d, QHY5 & 8x50 Finder Guider. , Q

steppenwolf

steppenwolf

Global Moderator

• Global Mods
  • 10,352 posts
This is a fine mount but although it can be controlled by planetarium software (although not the cut down version of TheSky X supplied with the kit!) it is not EQMod compatible.

Regards,

Steve
The Chanctonbury Observatory
http://www.skyatnightimages.co.uk
Night conceals the World but reveals the Universe

The third edition of my book 'MAKING EVERY PHOTON COUNT', a Beginner's Guide to Deep Sky Astro-photography is available here.

forecast.png

gary1968

gary1968

Brown Dwarf

• Advanced Members
  • 2,749 posts
Thanks for that Steve. I guess I can get by without EQMod if I can control it from, say, Stellarium. Although, I am going to miss the polar alignment routine in EQMod.
I just have to be patient to fing out the price and expected arrival.

Gaz

56N / 3.5W

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users