Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

SW Explorer 200P - Dimensions

Hi All.

Sorry another thread on this scope.

I have used the search functions but am having trouble finding the answers

I am looking into getting my first scope and was thinking of this scope

SW Explorer 200P (or PDS) on the EQ5 mount

However I am a little worried about the size of this scope. Can anyone let me know dimensions of this ?

How long is it? I know its 8". I am more worried that it will take up a large section of the front room \ kitchen and thinking where the the best place to store it would be.

Is it easy to leave assembled and move about or am I likely to be knocking the ends of it transporting it to the garden?

Sorry for the silly questions

Sam

I don't want my wife

I have the same scope and when I first opened the box was surprised at its actual size (1000mm in length but looked huge to me). I'm fortunate to have plenty of storage space so leave it assembled but in a living room it would be a bit of a sight.

For moving around I remove the scope and move the tripod and eq5 mount in one piece, bringing the scope out afterwards to reattach. It's heavy, a little awkward but manageable. With the scope on it would be a difficult job and you'd most likely be banging the scope on everything.

Thanks for the details and pictures.

I have just read my message again and realised I hadn't finished my sentence before posting... doh

I do actually want my wife, what I meant was I don't want my wife telling me off about it taking up too much room in the house.

Looks like a beautiful piece of kit, just not really in the grab and go arena. Think I might have to wait for a while to get something that size or really look into tidying up the shed finally and storing it in there.

The 200P isn't small. I remember going to pick my first one up. I'd already had a TAL200K (8" SCT size) but was shocked to see how big the 200P/EQ5 is. My first thoughts were "how am I going to get this in the car?". If portability & space is a consideration then the 130P is a very nice scope. They come on different types of mount (some more up to the task than others) and they offer some very good views on the night sky. There is the 150P but TBH there really isn't a great deal between the 130 & 150P on paper optically but there is a more noticeable difference in there size.

When I was building my obsy I considered getting either the 200P DS or the 250. I don't think the 250 would even go in and I think the 200 would be quite awkward. I changed my mind and went for an ED80 since my main thing is AP. Those Newts are bigger than you think!

As for the SW 130P - I hope it's better than the Celestron 130EQ :D It should be at about twice the price.

Archived