Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

um probably being stupid but........

if i connect my cannon 1000d camera straight to the scope with t mount where does the magnification come from and how do i add eyepieces for mag please help trying to do some basic photos of moon planets etc cheers

The 'magnification' comes from the fact that the telescope is now your camera's new 'lens'. So, if you have a telescope with a 600mm focal length, this will be like using a Canon 600mm telephoto lens only most likely with a much greater aperture.

HTH

Probably best to stick with "prime focus" if you're just starting out in AP. Some folks use a barlow as well depending on which object. For "afocal" photography there's a variety of ways to connect up with ep's. Here's a few ideas using various combinations of adaptors, step down rings, and T-rings:

Stargazers Lounge - brantuk's Album: Photography

Hope that helps :)

Edit: You type much faster than me Brantuk, lol

You can purchase a separate adaptor for projection photography and it allows youto fit an eyepiece within the adaptor and also to adjust the magnification by sliding the eyepiece forward and back within the adaptor.

There are some very good stickies within primers and tutorials and I'd highly recommend them for the information you seek now and may require later. I found with my old projection unit (hooked up to my 35mm film camera) I was always learning. The great thing with digital is you see what you got immediately whereas with the film, it was all trial and error and processing charges, lol.

I hope Steve doesn't mind but can I plug his book, "Making Every Photon Count" (Flo £19.95). With any good view, it usually starts with a good walk and and in the case of astro imaging, a good steep uphill one at that, particularly in the early stages. Steve's book is very comprehensive and modestly price and will provide you with a very good base upon which to build with your own experience. I'm not his agent and I am only recommending it as an essential resource that is invaluable when you are starting out.

Clear skies

James

thanks guys ill defo check out the links and the book cheers my scope is an orion optics europa 250mm so quite a big lens infact. ithink i will be sticking to prime focus for now cheers oh clear skies

Do stick to prime focus. If you don't you slow down your focal ratio and, for deeps sky imaging, that usually means shooting yourself in the foot. There are rare exceptions on some targets. For now, forget them.

Increasing your effective focal length by projection also adds to the precison needed in autoguiding and it is hard enough as it is!

99.99% of the images on the DS board are prime focus.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Archived