Advice for my first dark skies viewing.

At the end of April/beginning of may, I will be heading to some remote areas of northern Michigan to do my first stargazing in good viewing conditions.

I have a Celestron Omni XLT 102mm refractor on an equatorial mount and I have a basic Celestron accessory kit with various eyepieces.

I have used my telescope in the heavy light pollution of SE Michigan and I have a pretty good grasp on rough polar alignment, but I'd be hard pressed to find an object by celestial coordinates. I've been able to see Saturn but that's just by following colloquial directions as I can locate it with the naked eye and just point at it pretty easy.

So, any specific advice for my first viewing? Things I should do/practice beforehand? What are some key things that would be great to search for in the late April/early May time of the year?

Thanks!

To get you started; Turn Left at Orion and The Backyard Astronomer's Guide are full of great advice about the basics of star-gazing and have, organized by season, plenty of suggested targets with directions. A Planisphere shows you what's visible when and where and will help in learning the constellations. The Sky & Telescope's Pocket Sky Atlas will be very useful navigating the night sky too.

For after your trip there is the slightly more advanced Astronomy Hacks packed with tips 'n' tricks and for moon-watching try the Moon Observer's Guide. Last, but not least, living in an area with light pollution you'll find The Urban Astronomer's Guide a great help.

Before the trip spend as much time as you can under the stars getting more familiar with your 'scope and "getting your eye in".

About the trip itself:

* take all the usual precautions for remote area trekking

* dress warm whilst star-gazing - it'll get surprisingly chilly at the 'scope

* use a red torch to help preserve your eye's dark adaptation

* take a stool/chair for observing - you'll see more, effectively "gaining" a couple of inches of aperture

* don't rush at the 'scope - the sky's not going anywhere and haste will make for expensive breakages

* take your time at the eyepiece with each target - you'll tease out more detail the longer you spend

Be safe and have fun ! :)

Just one thing to add to the op list and this is desirable not essential. If you can, get there before it gets too dark this gives you a chance to setup, let your scope cool etc and of course maximises your darkness, If you are anything like me a dark site is a treat I don't get often so I like to make the most of it. I also like to have a red light pointing at the ground under my scope. This makes it less likely that I will trip over the tripod legs.

It's true that it is good practice to take someone with you. But it's not always possible and as long as you take reasonable precautions the lack of a buddy shouldn't stop you going. Tell someone where you are going and when you are expecting to be back. take your mobile phone with you and inform your contact if you have to change your plans for any reason. basic common sense really.

Archived