best moon studying e/p

I hope very soon to move on from my 5" Celestron Newt to a long awaited 8" Skyliner Dob.The long wait has coincided with dense cloud cover on the Cornish coast,and odd glimpses of the lovely satellite of ours has made me an ardent fan of moon gazing.I currently look at it with an 8mm TV Plossl,or a Barlowed 32mm Celestron Omni; I should like advice on a moon -specific eyepiece-I can just about afford a Baader Hyperion,13mm-does this make sense?

What is the best eyepiece for general viewing that you have used with your 5in Newt? Is there much difference for you between the stock EP and the TV EP?

I just received a 6 in Cel Newt. Hope to add a DOB in the future.

Thanks for the time,

John

For the moon you might want a bit more magnification than a 13mm will deliver to see the finer details - you will find it very hard to beat your 8mm Tele Vue plossl without spending lots of £'s (the Hyperions won't improve on it).

The Televue is miles ahead of the stock e/ps that came with my Celestron.The 32mm Celestron Barlows quite well,and I use that to star hop.I guess they will both really come into their own when my 8" Dob arrives.

Hope someone will advise me now!

The main advantage of planetary EPs over Orthos and Plossls is that the planetaries have higher eye relief, which is important for those with glasses. A 6mm should be OK (200 x mag is often useful in my C8, which is why I use my Radian 10mm a lot). The Vixen NLV has a very good reputation and could be considered if you are looking in Hyperion price ranges. These do have a more limited FOV, but very good for planets and the moon.

Well thanks, gents-I still have e/p money burning a hole in my pocket,as my old Mum used to say. So the Dob is on it's way,I have two e/ps and a Barlow,and will hold fire on the next e/p until I have savoured the joys of the Dobsonian. A bientot.

Archived