Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

focal reducers for multiple scopes?

Hi all

Ok, well, having had the purchase of a faster scope off the forums fall through under strange circumstances... I am wondering whether to stick with what I've got and try out a focal reducer to increase speed for now?

I mainly want to drop the f7.5 speed of my Meade 127mm APO. The WO 0.8X FR should bring that down to f6 or so which is a good start.

I am also looking to get a widefield scope, probably a Megrez 72 shortly... I'd like to use the reducer on that too but this is outside the recomended focal length for that reducer... so...

my first question is, what effect would putting that reducer (designed for 500mm to 1000mm focal length scopes) on the 432mm focal length M72? If it worked, that'd drop the megrez down to f4.8 which would be awesome.

If that won't work... what WOULD it do to it? and would I instead need to get a reducer designed for smaller scopes? does anyone know of a source for such things?

Cheers all!

Ben

Don't know about reducers for the Meg72 Ben but I can thoroughly recommend the SW field flattener for around £60 - works a treat at prime focus at the native F6 (plus it has a built in T-ring for direct camera attachment) :)

Here's a pic from Kelling using both Meg72 and SW FF with mod'ed 350D (see reprocessed one at bottom of thread):

http://stargazerslounge.com/imaging-deep-sky/136441-kelling-heath-28-3-11-flaming-star-nebula.html

Archived