Barlow lens and Pulsar Optical

Hi People.

I am new to the sky peeping business and decided to complement my meagre set up with an Antares Barlow lens.

I purchased one from Pulsar Optical and when it arrived today I discovered that it is not Antares but is a Scopeteknix instead.

Have I been ripped ?

Which is the better lens ?

Any advice would be most gratefully received.

Andrew.

Hi Andrew,

I’m not too sure which lens is better, all a do know is that pulsar optical do not have the best of reputations. That being said, I have brought stuff from them in the past and it’s been ok.

I’m sure someone else will be able to tell you about the difference in lenses.

Sorry and good luck.

Optically they are probably about the same quality - maybe exactly the same as a lot of stuff comes from the same chinese manufacturers and is re-badged for sale.

As long as it has the same features as the one you ordered then you are probably OK with the Scopeteknix one.

Are you referring to this one <click> - and can you unscrew the front part and screw it directly onto the filter threads of your eyepieces?

If it is - and if your Scopeteknix one looks identical in all but name - then it's just a rebadged GSO one like this one here <click>

Ironically, GSOs reputation has now got so high that stuff with their own brand name - "GSO" - printed on it, often sells for a higher price than the versions rebranded for other people! :)

This particular barlow is sold under various names - most famously it is known as the standard "Orion Shorty Barlow".

Like most low-priced Barlows, it has a slightly reduced clear aperture, and so it tends to crop the edge-of-field of longer focal length eyepieces (24mm and above), but apart from that, it's a reasonably well-performing Barlow that some people (for some reason) occasionally prefer over the (much more expensive) Celestron Ultima <click> which costs a lot more.

Having the ability to screw the nosepiece onto an eyepiece for a 1.5x power boost is certainly very useful when experimenting with eyepiece combinations.

As I am new to star peeping, I read a few reviews on here and the Antares is highly regarded at the lower price bracket, that is why I ordered one.

As I have no previous experience of using a Barlow I have no reference as to whether the Scopeteknix one is any good.

I am leaning towards sending it back and sourcing an Antares.

Thanks for the help,

Andrew.

I have the Antares 2" 1.6x and the 1.25" Tal. Don't know about the Scopeteknix one but the Tal is a good budget barlow - Antares will be far superior :)

• 1 month later...

Hm, should be at least a note explaining they are the same if they had none of the Antares- contact them explaining you've received a product but its not the one you ordered, see if they can justify or explain.

Archived