NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

First 'processed' image of Saturn

Hello, I went out tonight after finally putting the R.A motor on my 130M. However, when I finally found Saturn, the telescope wouldn't keep up with it. Could this be because I didn't polar align my 'scope? Anyway, I still managed to get 2 AVI's of Saturn (1500 frames and 600 frames) and tried to process the 600 frames one but it looks the same but i'm not the best using registax and didn't really know what to do :). Here it is:

Saturn (2).bmp

You definitely need to polar align the mount and set the motor to run at sidereal rate then it should keep saturn in the center of the eyepiece with only odd tweaks in dec (depending on accuracy of PA). :)

OK, thanks I will do this next time. It just seems to complicated. Could you do a quick list of what to do or send me a link of a website please (mount is eq2). Thanks :p

Sure - ten easy steps:

1. Align finder with main tube during daylight - use a pylon or church spire a mile or two away.

2. Point the mount due north using a compass and ensure it's levelled by adjusting the legs (use a spirit level).

3. Using the altitude bolts set it to your latitude which can be found here Lat - Long Finder: This page helps you find Latitude and Longitude

4. When it's dark locate polaris using the Plough and Cassiopeia.

5. Use the altitude bolts and azimuth bolts to center polaris in the finder.

6. Pop a 25mm eyepiece in the focuser tube and you should have polaris in the field of view.

7. Use the same bolts to center polaris in the eyepiece and adjust the finder to center it also. You can repeat this at 15mm or 10mm for greater accuracy using the same bolts.

8. Once you're happy with the centering you are aligned and ready to go. Don't move the tripod or the alt/az bolts - these stay fixed in place for the rest of the session.

9. Move the scope around the sky to your object by releasing the cluches and turning it in RA and Declination planes only.

10. Lock clutches when on the object and engage the motor - bingo you're tracking accurately (use sidereal rate).

You may need to tweak the dec plane occasionally if the object drifts off center.

Hope that helps - it get easier each time you do it :)

Archived