Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Celestron 8SE vs C8-SGT XLT GOTO

Sammyb

Hello - I have been looking at these two telescopes and wondering what the advtages and disadvantages of each would be.

I presume the OTA is virtually the same and understand the equatorial mount of the C8 would be better suited for imaging at long exposures.

Are there any other differences? What about the software? Set up times?

Thanks for your help,

Sam

The CG5 is a bit light for imaging with the C8, so I wouldn't consider the C8 SGT for that purpose.

While I haven't use the 8SE, I have the smaller 6SE on the same SE mount, and I also uses the C6 OTA on a GEM. I think both systems has its pros and cons.

The SE is more portable than the GEM, and easier to set up if you have never use an equatorial mount. It comes with an orange OTA, which I found more aesthetically pleasing than the black one that comes with the SGT.

The CG5 has limited long exposure potential if you keep your exposure short and uses a fast short focal length scope (e.g. ED80). The SE being an Alt-Az mount cannot do long exposure.

I think the biggest problems with the SE mount is it's inability to point at zenith. I have clearance problem with my 6SE when I use a 2" diagonal, it will only get worse with the larger 8SE OTA. The CG5 will not have clearance problem and will allow you to mount long OTAs such as Newtonian or long focal length refractor. As with all GEM, the CG5 will need to change side once an object has moved pass meridian.

Thanks Keith for the input.

I do a bit of planetary imaging using a CCD on my current scope. Taking 3 min avis and then stacking. Will this be do-able on the 8SE? or does the Alt/Az mount make this tricky?

Cheers,

Sam

I haven't try mine for planetary imaging, but I think it should be sufficient. At least the view is stable in my C6 at 150x, more stable than when I last imaged planets with my LPI, 120mm frac and EQ5. Alt/Az shouldn't be a problem as individual exposure is relatively short, and images can be realigned in software prior to stacking. The Nexstar SE mount has a autoguider port, which may helps tracking. (I've never used the one on mine)

The C8 is heavier than the C6, so stability will be reduced on the SE mount. On the other hand, the C8 is shorter than my 120mm frac and CG5 comes with a more substantial tripod than my EQ5, so the SGT will be more stable.

Sorry I can't be more helpful, hopefully someone who uses both C8 SE and SGT will be able to answer your question. I use my SE for visual only, most of the time because I can't be ask to set up my GEM.

Archived