NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Advice on filters

Hi all,

I'm looking at investing in some filters to improve my view of objects, I already have a light pollution filter. I've been looking around but its really confusing. Can anyone suggest a good range of filters that would assist with planetry obs and dso's or even a good all in one kit. Also are there any problems with stacking coloured filters behind a LP filter?

Thanks in advance

Hi Jiggy,

I'd say that the only "must have" would be a medium to high density lunar filter, like one of these.

I hold off on getting anything else till you've grown into the hobby a bit and have a clearer idea of what your needs are, based on what path you go down - visual or imaging, deep sky or planetary, etc...

Here are some links that might be of use in choosing filters:

The Use of Filters

Primer - Understanding and Choosing Filters for Visual Use

Useful Filters for Viewing Deep-Sky Objects

Filter Performance Comparisons (a bit heavy-going this one)

It's worth checking whether or not the 1.25" EP adaptor on your 'scope is threaded to take 2" filters, allowing you use 2 inchers with 1.25" EPs and saving on getting a set of both.

As for stacking filters, that'll have the effect of dimming the image in the EP by reducing the throughput of light. I suppose it all depends on what 'scope you have and what its aperture is (more aperture = more light throughput = brighter image).

HTH :D

Thanks David, great reply...you were right about that 4th link, gave up after the first paragraph!!.

I might wait, looks like my current 130mm aperture might not make the best use of a lot of these filters. I am saving to upgrade to a 200mm or 250mm (most likely) SW Reflector so I'll look into it a bit closer then. I am thinking of observing, no plans for AP at the moment

Archived