Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Celestron C8 SGT or Skywatcher 200P HEQ5 Pro

Sam Bo

Hi all

This is an age old question I am sure but I needed a little extra pushing to decide on a new scope. I know abit about astronomy and have a Bresser Skylux as a starter scope. I am looking to purchase an 8 inch scope that is a good all rounder (if that is possible).

I am interested in both visual and imaging (with DSLR, webcam and possibly CCD at a later stage). Visual observation of planets is important although DSO observation would be good. However, since DSOs are difficult to observe with the biggest scopes, astrophotography of DSOs is important. I have heard the imaging DSOs with 8 inch SGTs is difficult. Is it any easier and/or better with a Newtonian? Obviously the Newt is faster and may have less obstruction. Which of the Celestron and Skywatcher do you think would perform best visually or photographically? One benefit to the Celestron is the portability, but would I lose out on visual/imaging etc?

Any additional insights would be appreciated

Cheers

Sam

You seem to be answering all your own questions :D

The C8 SGT will have a longer focal length and thus ratio, making it ideal for planetary work as you can get higher magnifications for a given eyepiece, and whilst it will still find DSOs they will (IMO) appear brighter in the F5 200P. That said, here is the first image I took using a NexImage web cam through my 200P

saturn2.png

And I'm sure the images will get better as that was taken in poor conditions.

Personally I would get the HEQ5 mount over the Celestron one, but the choice of OTA is going to be a personal choice...

I wouldn't entertain an SCT for DS imaging unless I were dead sure I had the mount for it, the flattener, the aftermarket focuser, the will to see it through... etc. I was also observing with our SCT this week and I really did find the long FL a constraint. You are so limited to smaller targets even with a 26 Nagler.

Would it be out of the question to separate visual and imaging? Dob for visual and webcammng, small fast apo and HEQ5 Pro for imaging? That is what I'd do. Compromises rarely deliver.

Olly

ollypenrice's Photos

Interesting decision as both have good and bad and people get excellent photographs with either. You can list the pluses and minuses of both types and fill pages writing pros and cons. But in all reality, which of the two types to get probably boils down to which type telescope you personally prefer; an emotional, not a technical, decision.

Thanks for all your comments

I've decided on the skywatcher 200 pds. Gives me a scope for visual and DSOs with a great mount (HEQ5) that I could use for other scopes. Then I could purchase a nice refractor (i.e. Skywatcher 80ED PRO) at a later date if I decide I need it for astrophotography/planets.

Archived