Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ha targets

I have a Ha filter arriving in the near future and, although it is primarily an investment for when my gear reaches the level it can be used effectively, I would like to give it a run for its money as I can when it arrives.

So my question is: Over the next few months, with the limitation of fairly short exposures, what are my best targets? Do all nebulae produce good Ha results? Or are some brighter in Ha than others?

I know it isn't going to give me great results with sub-minute subs, but I want to have a go at something, so any advice on "bright"(-ish/-er) targets gratefully received.

Thanks.

Ha is the realm of the 20 minute sub so don't expect too much!

At the moment the galaxy season does not lend itself to 'stand alone' Ha but things are already looking up. However, M81/82 have some good Ha fireworks which you could add to a colour image. (Try it in the red channel added in Blend Mode Lighten.)

We were roaming the Milky Way, notably Cygnus, in the small hours two days ago. When this area comes up you have the North America and Pelican, IC1396 and the Elephant Trunk (a bit faint though). There is the Veil which works well. M27 is worth a pop. The Crescent nebula. You might still catch a bit on the Tadpoles at the moment, BTW.

Ha is used on emission nebulae which are starbirth regions and therefore found in galactic spiral arms. In our case that means the plane of the Milky Way.

After the summer, don't miss the Rosette, Cone, Horsey and M42...

Olly

Thanks for the suggestions, Olly.

I hear what you are saying about sub-length. I have had some joy using an OIII filter on planetary nebs with short subs and was just seeking advice on relatively easy Ha targets to see what I can get - don't think S147 would be a good one to try first (especially as it is a bit low now) :D.

Really I think this is all part of my 'kicking and screaming' trek towards the purchase of a HEQ5 ...

Thanks for the suggestions, Olly.

I hear what you are saying about sub-length. I have had some joy using an OIII filter on planetary nebs with short subs and was just seeking advice on relatively easy Ha targets to see what I can get - don't think S147 would be a good one to try first (especially as it is a bit low now) :D.

Really I think this is all part of my 'kicking and screaming' trek towards the purchase of a HEQ5 ...

You need one! If you already have O111 then Ha-O111-O111

is a good combo. You can either do it straight with the O111 going into 2 channels or try an Ha-O111 blend in the blue. That is lovely on the Helix.

Olly

Archived