Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rolling out the CGE-Pro

Hello Folks,

I've finally managed to get the CGE Pro up on the dolly as I had planned. One more evening of 'casual' observing - setting up and taking down a 150 kg rig - is enough to spur me on to finish this part of the project. This turns out to be an afternoon's task, as nothing with this big fellow is simple or easy. I still struggle with the height at which to set the scope - the long tube means that either viewing at the horizon or the zenith is uncomfortable. After trying a couple of different settings with just the tripod and pier (no heavy EQ head) on the dolly, Mrs. Astra and I decide on a substantially lower than maximum setting - this will make the center of the telescope saddle about 74" instead of 80". This is much more about our comfort level with lifting the big EQ head into place than anything; but as a practical matter, it does substantially lower the center of gravity when we are rolling the tripod about on the dolly. We have to roll down a sloping drive, so this is an issue to contend with.

Neither of us was really comfortable with the idea of that much mass just sitting atop a rolling platform, either. "You're the physics man, you fix it then!" says the Mrs. A trip to the home improvement store and I found ratcheting straps (in sets of 4 for $13) in Celestron orange, no less! Replacing one of the bolts in the dolly with a stainless steel ring gave us the rig you see below - much more stable now! :icon_eek: Adjusting tripod and dolly together to get reasonably close to level took some time, but the end result was worth it!

To make the roll-out easier, I took mortar and made a very short ramp out of the garage so the tripod could roll over the 1" bump easily. I also took concrete patch and filled the gap in the concrete drive and patched the small gap at the entrance to the front patio as well. Now the mount, including EQ head and counterweights, rolls easily out to the patio for observing. All we have to do is mount the scope and attach the dew shield and we can be up and observing in about 10-15 minutes (compared to 45 minutes when assembling everything from scratch). Take down is equally quick. We have decided that we won't be trying to roll the dolly with the scope mounted - too much mass - too awkward - too many chances for disaster. One of the last photos below is the mount in its new home in the garage. I've made a huge dust cover for it from a couple of cheap vinyl table cloths sews together.

We still have plans for the front observing patio - the tree will be going for one. It blocks the view north, makes lots of litter, and doesn't shield the stray light very well. :rolleyes: We still have plans for an observing area out back as well so that we can see the south and western sky, too!

Dan

post-24566-133877558552_thumb.jpg

post-24566-133877558559_thumb.jpg

post-24566-133877558567_thumb.jpg

post-24566-133877558577_thumb.jpg

Splendid!

For a large 'portable' set-up, one of these "buggies' is about the most sensible investment you can make (IMHO).

Tho' I think you'll find that you really cannot do PROPER observations or imaging without a permanent installation: the Barbecue! :D

Archived