Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

OTA Slip Rings

Hi

I mentioned in another post, but though a new topic would get better visibility, I am looking for a different tube mounting arrangement to that shown int he picture in this thread - http://stargazerslounge.com/equipment-discussion/136565-new-eq5-mount.html?highlight=tube+rings - The rings are produced by Oron Optics to suit their diameter of OTA, however because of the position of the focuser I would like to be able to rotate the tube easily. I can slacken the rings holding the OTA to the mount leaving it supported by the third unattached one, but the force required combined with the weight of the scope and counterweights moved the mount with the brake applied.

This is not ideal by any means. I did use a telescope which was mounted on a HEQ6 which had rings that rotated like they were on bearings and wondered if these are available in shops or whether they had to be specially made, has anyone seen similar? I'm sceptical of bought ones because of the tube diameter not being equal to the mirror diameter (OTS diameter is 225mm).

Thank you for any help you can offer.

Steve

Archived