NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

GSO 6" f/9 Ritchey-Chretien Astrograph

Astronutjob

Hello seen one of these up fir sale a while ago, whats the story with these scopes i know its a ritchey chertien but why are they so cheap?, also is this a good option for astrophotography, or would i be better going with another imaging scope? are there any drawbacks with this scope over say a refractor?

At F/9 they need a focal reducer to be good for deep sky. If you compare the price to that of a 6" triplet of ED you immediately spot an advantage of the GSO RC :icon_eek::D. It has a larger flat field of view than say a C6, but it is a lot heavier (5.4 for the GSO 6" vs 3.5 kg for the C6, even the C8 is only 4.7). For planetary work, the latter has the edge. I have seen some good deep sky pics made with the 6"

so would you say a c6 would be a better option? i only intend to use it for deepsky photos, i thought it would have an advantage over a sct as there is no corrector plate (cool down time) and the primary mirror wont shift during the exposure? im not seeing many examples of people using them for imaging though?

Archived