Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What would happen (theorhetically) if you could travel faster than light

If humans could travel say 10x faster than the speed of light, and set off from earth for say one year in a straight line, and then looked back at the light from the Earth, i pressume you would be looking back in time by 9 years, so my question is, if you then traveled back to Earth at 10x the speed of light for one year, you would arrive 8 years ahead of the light from earth, so would you have gone back in time??:icon_eek:

Ignoring the relativistic effect, I think you will be back to the same time.

However, you will be able to see the Earth 8 years ago at the location where you stand after travelling 1 year with 10x speed of light.

Let's do again the calculation, first part is correct, you can see the light that emit from Earth 9 years ago. But, if you travel back at 10x speed of light, you are actually fast forwarding, that is, at t=0, you see 9 years ago, then 8 years, 7 years.....But, since you are travelling 2 years, the "frame" that you are from has been 2 light years away from Earth, and you are now in the frame of 2 years later. And this 2 years is the year that you travel, hence it's the same.

Hope my English is understandable. :D

Archived