Star alignment setup

Hi, once i have my mount setup polar aligned for polaris, can i the use any 2 stars for setup or do they have to be way apart for effective tracking. Do i have to actually align polaris in the sky as one of the stars or just on the scope settings, date, time, transit point.

The two i had in mind were procyon and betelguse, or capella or aldebaran.

Pollux and castor also easy for me as is alhana. I have a good view of these from my back garden which faces due west.

thanks

Jon

AFAIK you can use any two stars for your alignment.

In fact, if I'm right, you don't need to do a polar alignment on polaris first, it's just that when you have aligned the scope properly it will be pointing that way anyway, so it is a good way to cut down on set up time.

What I have done with my scope is to level my tripod first, next polar aligned my scope, then marked off the position of the tripod legs with indelible ink on the flags in my back garden, once this is done every time I get my scope out it will be pretty much spot on. All I do every time I get the scope out is to align with a couple of stars usually 90 degree or more apart that are between the east though the south to the west as my north is already aligned. The further apart the better. Well cuts down on my setup time.

Archived