Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Where to buy a 12v power cable

I've bought a 12v power tank from Maplins but the cigar style lead does not fit my Meade. I see that maplins sell a cable with a load of different sized conncetors but £13 seemed a bit pricey!

Does anyone know where to get the right size?!

Thanks.

Hi. I assume you mean the little black plastic DC plug.

Sorry but these are made in a huge variety of pin diameters, outer diameters and depths. Then some have a waist to help retain the plug. Everyone seems to have their own ideas on this.

I often end up soldering new leads to sort this.

Sorry I'm not more helpful.

Hi John, as you`ve bought a power tank not sure this helps but...

my skywatcher has a 2.5mm supply plug being tip +ve, which i think is a common connector for scopes (if not dont read on, sorry).

i went to makro and looked at their 12vdc power tanks (car jump start units) and got a unit for £29 ish which has a 2.5mm to cigar socket lead to allow you to charge from a car outlet, but you can also plug it in to the 12vdc outlet on the power tank to power a scope. There is also a 240vac to 2.5mm charger that is enough to power my dob via the mains.

(in the end i bought another unit from makro that has two 12vdc outlets and also a 240vac outlet via a inverter, being useful for PC`s etc)

thought you could take the maplin one back and get something from Makro,

might be cheaper?

I thought you nailed it then total loss, but it says for use with mains power supplies? I need to go from a portable power supply with a cigar socket to the scope.

Trident - It was only after I bought mine I realised others have two outlets where mine only has one! I think I might keep it though and add one with two as I think you can never have enough!

I thought you nailed it then total loss, but it says for use with mains power supplies? I need to go from a portable power supply with a cigar socket to the scope.

yes i think they call anything other than battery powered, 'mains powered' . Thats the lead I'll be using with the power pack its what the bloke in the shop said i needed, sounds like you got the same lead but with a different name, main thing is it does the job.

Archived