Meade Lightbridge Lunar observing report as of 15.11.2010 Part of Lunar 100-200

Doc

Meade LIghtbridge 16" F4.5

Phase 67°

Lunation 9.59 days

Illumination 69.5%

Very cold

Lunar 100-200

To see the following catalogue please click here: http://stargazerslounge.com/observing-lunar-solar/136138-new-lunar-100-200-list.html

Number 8 Dark halo craterlet Copernicus H

I could see this 3 mile diameter crater south east of crater Copernicus and very near to the peanut shaped crater Copernicus A. Through the 9mm ortho I could observe that the crater was indeed very dark and was amoung a range of hills. The crater comes from the Copernician (From -1.1 billions years to present days) period of the moons history and is a very interesting formation.

Number 43 Apollo 14 landing site

I could detect a slight break in the northern rim of Fra Mauro and once through this gap you are greeted by a fine view of hills and the craters D,X,K & J and it was amoung these hills that apollo 14 landed. Launch on 31st January 1971 from Cape Kennedy and landed 5th Febuary 1971. It's commander was Alan B. Shepard, 42.9 Kg of lunar rocks were collected and the Lunar module lifted of on 6th Febuary 1971.

Number 22 Mons Moro

From the crater Bonpland there is a quadrangle of four craters they are called Bonpland A,R,G & H. Mon Moro is just north of crater H, at 6 miles by 2 miles and of unknown height it was quite easy to make out in all eyepieces, it was a fantastic sight and I wonder how high this mountain is.

Nice report. Regarding the height of Mons Moro, have attempts been made to estimate its height using shape-from-shading or shape-from-shadow techniques? I know some crater walls have been measured in this way.

It would be a great project for someone with the proper tools, I just gor the info from Virtual Moon Atlas.

Archived