SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Laser cut Bahtinov Mask (Thanks Psychobilly)

pook

Thanks to Psychobilly for creating the vector file.

Laser cut from 2mm card. (I will also produce a plastic version later)

I've used teh plastic stand off clips that come with PC motherboards and it just hooks over the end of the scope.

Works a treat :D

1-1.jpg

2-2.jpg

3-1.jpg

4.jpg

There's a guy on eBay that does them, very good service too :D

Bahtinov Focus Mask for 8" Newtonian on eBay (end time 22-Apr-11 20:26:43 BST)

Having just ordered a couple of masks from Keith @ Morris Engraving I have to say I'm very impressed with his customer service and communication. will review the masks when i receive them!

Stephen

Already have the 200 and 250 drawn... and quite a few others...

If anyone wants then for "non-comercial" use and has access to the kit just PM for the CAD files...

Billy...

Can you not team up with pook to make available to members ? Me and malc would definitely have 1 each for our 200p's

I used to get them made in zintec in the past but it became to expensive.. what you had was something that would last if you spray painted it and was very robust...

I had a large number of "custom" designs for a whole range of scopes... I had a retailers account on SGL under "billysbits" ... but its has been decided after discussions with the admins that masks can be discussed and supplied through "psychobilly"

heres a link to the "historic" thread...

http://stargazerslounge.com/completed/74455-billysbits-focus-masks-initial-price-list-30-01-2009-a.html

I dont have access to my own machine so costs are prohibitive especially for one offs...

What I will do is make the data available to anyone who may have access to the machines - ones capable of cutting card or plastic are often found in school/colleges...

I will make a list of all the designs when i get a chance...

Peter...

Can you not team up with pook to make available to members ? Me and malc would definitely have 1 each for our 200p's

I'm afraid I can't use the laser cutter for any commercial ventures :D

I'm afraid I can't use the laser cutter for any commercial ventures :D

That's a shame... so what if you could prove that you are not charging, but simply covering your cost of materials, and whatever the school wants towards the running cost of the small laser cutter.

I know a local company that has a cutter, but this thing is huge and can cut through 2" steel like butter so not much use for something like this.

I've not read the thread linked, and don't want to upset any apple carts, but there's a lot of stuff that is commercially made and sold at inflated prices, which is now being made by clever individuals. It's a shame that due to politics or school policies these can not be made available for other members.

[/rant off !]

That's a shame... so what if you could prove that you are not charging, but simply covering your cost of materials,

I think the issue, is staff using it when it's not really for staff... but students :D Also, I can't personally use it, as I've not been trained, so it also relies on the technician to actually run the cutter. Apparently it's not as straightforward as using a printer. You have to set laser powers for material type, thickness and so on.. set the bed height for focusing... all manner of stuff.

Perhaps children or grandchildren could make on as part of CDT if they still have that these days...

The Laser cutter I used to have them made on is a 8'x4' sized one that would cut up to 12mm the point is its was up to...so still capable of fine work its just the hourly rates became prohibitive...

I am slowly sorting out the designs and I guess the easiest thing is just zip the hole lot up into an archive and let people help themselves...

For the people who have contacted me for designs which I didnt have I am drawing them up during my dinner hour at work... whats another hour in front of the PC... fresh air and a break who needs it :D

Peter...

your not missing much outside pete. still not warm enough for short skirts :D

Ah the dinner time walks around the lakes....

All work and no play makes Billy the FBSL the last two being short legs.. i'll let you work the first two out... its my usual answer to what size are you looking for when clothes shopping... I need another trip to the US of A to stock up... or open an account with Jackamo...

Archived