NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

M53 globular cluster partly resolved (and partly drawn!)

DarkerSky

Started a sketch of this in my 12" last night. Got a gorgeous view of it at x300. Got the core recorded and brightness variations within the core. Next I want to try to give a sense of the mottling I'm seeing in the core and its partial resolution. There are loads of stars resolved in the outer halo and across the front of the globular too that I need to get down in the sketch. Another couple of hours worth of work at least I think :D

Nice project, but it can be daunting to sketch a (partly) resolved globular. I gave up on sketching M13 when I got my 8", because there are just too many stars. Please share the result when you have it. I did not resolve much in M53 last time I got it, but then my scope is smaller.

It's certainly a challenge for sure. I've resolved to take my time and not rush things with it. So far I havn't had an opportunity to get back to it. Transparency has been poor. Tonight is looking more promising though, so hopefully I can do a bit more on it.

Got out again last night on M53 for about an hour. Transparency was poor with all this haze, but the seeing was decent. Managed to plot 21 resolved stars in the outer halo and also worked on the appearance of the dappled light I see to the western side of the core and into the halo. More time on it needed ! :D

Archived