NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Another widefield

Had a surprise clear sky last night after I had given up hope. Luckily my wife looks out for me :D. Shot with my barndoor tracker after I did some viewing with my Bins. Got to see m3, beehive, leo trio, and a suprise satellite pass through pleiades.

Anyways I know what it is but let's play "name that constellation"!

2 images at 4minutes each

240sec @ f5.6

iso 800

5557114301_7ef79e0074_b.jpg

Anyways I know what it is but let's play "name that constellation"!

hmm... Does it start with big and end in per as you guys on the other side of the pond call it :D

Really nice image btw.

hmm... Does it start with big and end in per as you guys on the other side of the pond call it :D

Really nice image btw.

Haha well I guess it's more of the big dipper since I couldn't get the rest of Ursa Major in the shot even at 18mm @_____@

But yes you got it :p and thanks! I like how the double star stands out in the tail.

Great image. I like the composition added by the foreground detail. What camera did you use and how accurately do you have to polar align for this. I've just finished my barndoor and am waiting for a clear night to have a go.

Great image. I like the composition added by the foreground detail. What camera did you use and how accurately do you have to polar align for this. I've just finished my barndoor and am waiting for a clear night to have a go.

technically true north (celestial north) is a few degrees east of polaris but with short focal length you really just need to center near polaris. I'd set up some kind of "scope" to look through so that you can accurately point it at polaris. I attached a copper plumbing pipe on the end of the board above the hinge.

as for my camera I shoot with a Canon 30D and my widefields I use a 18-55mm lens. I tried out my 70-200mm and unless you have a motor or can perfectly track 5 degrees every 5 seconds, I found that 100mm was the highest focal length highest I could go.

Soon I will be modifying my mount to equip a 1rpm motor so that I can get closer to my target.

Archived