The best camera to pick for prime photography

I am beginning to think my 300D and 400D canon cameras are not the best choice for digital astrophotography, squinting through the eyepiece to try and focus is a nightmare and neither camera has live view on the LCD.

I am sure everyone has there favourites and there are more things to consider besides the LCD but if i was to sell one or both of these cameras and get one more alligned to help with my hobby what camera should i be thinking of getting

Opinions ..... :D

I'm sure someone wiser than I will come along soon but....

Have you tried using an angle finder?

1.25x-2.5x Angle Finder for Canon 400D 350D 30D 20D A1C on eBay (end time 27-Mar-11 04:03:48 BST)

otherwise I would maybe try the bay and search for 450d or 1000d, both I believe others on the forum are using with great results.

Also, are you using a Y-mask, or Bahtinov mask to help with focus? This makes quite a bit of difference

The later Canons (450d, 1000d) are great and you can pick them up often enough.

I wouldn't write off your 400d just yet, though. Although live view is really nice, I managed very well with my 400d. I just focussed it roughly visually, then took a quick image of a bright star using a Bahtinov mask, inspecting the subsequent image, then re-taking the image and tweaking the focus as necessary until it was right. I then slew to the object to be imaged, knowing that the focus was spot-on.

Archived