NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Scary night, but good

JamesC

After observing Mercury at sunset I grabbed some supper and then headed out to Okehampton Range to do some galaxy hunting. I don't go to Okehampton Range much because it's often quite cloudy. Dartmoor sticks up quite abruptly if the wind is from the West or North and I fancy that often results in cloud. With the wind bringing haze from the East I thought Okehampton would be fine and it was, but boy is it exposed. I don't like observing in the wind. It's not just that it makes the scope wobble, it's that I can't hear the bogieman creeping up on me. I spent a lot of time with my back to the car looking at charts inbetween visits to the eyepiece. Ended up getting around a lot of the spring highlights although moon rise was on me before I could get through everything on my target list. It was interesting watching the sky (and ground) visibly brighten even when the moon was still below the horizon. The glow on the eastern horizon gradually intensified until finally a pastel orange moon broke the surface. I could feel the Earth rotating as the moon rose from the ground.

I love that feeling... up at Kielder this spring I had a long session and I finished it all wrapped up sitting waiting and watching the sun come up. i was the only person up I think and it was quite special. As you sit there with the cold on your face just looking and remaining perfectly still there is a calmness and still ness that I feel connects me to space.

I feel as though I can feel the movement of the earth too and it makes you quite giddy.

Everyone should try and experience this...it's one of the rewards we get after a long session through the night, but normally as we're at home we just pack up and head for the comfort and warmth indoors. Just sitting feeling the cold and looking up feels great.

Lovely to read someone else experiencing similar.

Mmmm, yes. I remember one time I went to Beer Head to watch the sun rise after an observing session. Watching the sun rise into a cloudless sky with golden ripples running across the sea towards me was something special.

I also like sun set. The promise of a clear night. The stars and planets emerging one by one from the twilight. Sun rise has a different quality though. Perhaps it feels more personal because the world is still asleep.

I think with sunrise there is a sense of achievement that you have squeezed every opportunity out of the night and are then rewarded with one of the great natural sights....that we all take for granted a little I guess.

Photos are great, but seeing it and feeling those rays hit is something isn't it...I remember years ago watching the sun rise from atop a housing block in Soller, Majorca. When the rays came and we moved from shadow into sun the feeling of warmth was skin tingling.

really dark skies are great too...just lying down and only being able to see stars within your field of vision sort of makes me feel like i'm falling through space.

(I should note without the assistance of any prohibited substances too!)

This is a great hobby sometimes!

Archived