Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Imaging set up.

As most of you know I have a celestron Astromaster 130EQ MD that I started on with the children.

Its has several flaws one of which is I cant put a DSLR on the scope and photograph through the scope itself. I've been talking to Martin at FLO's as to what to purchase for imaging and hopefully use as a general observational scope too.

If I keep the 130EQ I'd only be able to web image, which will mean a new lap top and web cam kit as I dont have that currently. The idea was to PX the 130EQ plus what I would have spent on the laptop/ web cam for a more suitable scope for the job.

Its been suggested that the starting point has to be the mount. That falls into either a HEQ5 Pro or NEQ6 Pro mount. The scope would have to be a Skywatcher 150PDS as its designed to take the DSLR and allow for the focusing on the view finder.

Nexus6 has a Skywatcher 150P for sale. That is only a EQ3-2 mount. The OTA is nearly the same model yet does it have the ability to take the DSLR straight to the scope? The mount, all thou heavier than mine still isn't up to HEQ5 speck.

So what do the learned SGL people suggest?

Is it £1250 for the NEQ6 Pro skytrak and 150PDS OTA or cheaper version HEQ5 Pro and 150PDS OTA (£900) or any other option?

Archived