SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

This is a silly question I think

Sorry if this sounds silly to you folks, but I have a question to ask.

Basically I used to use a 35mm SLR on my reflector, but both the camera and the scope are now history.

SO I was wondering is there a camera that can be used without a scope? Nothing too massive, If I wanted to do DSF I would go for a complete set up. But simple things like moon and planets and perhaps a few other things.

Any advice would be welcome on this.

I've taken quite nice wide-field pictures with my DSLR and a simple 50mm lens on a standard (non-tracking) camera tripod. The trick is to run your ISO up as high as it will go (or use the fastest film you have) and start playing with exposure times.

The trick is to keep the time short enough to avoid star trails (15-20 sec is usually fine for me), and have the ISO up high enough to get a good exposure. Orion, Taurus & Pleiades, and the southern skies in general are a good place to try your luck this time of year.

Post a few pics when you get them!

Dan

Archived