Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What else can i put on it

I know this is going to be one of those dumb questions but here we go anyway....

I was wondering if there is anything else i could put onto my telescope mount (Sky-Watcher Eq3-2) that would be smaller and lighter but just as good is not better than the Explorer 150P thats currently on it, I was thinking if i want to go to a friends house or a quick trip up the hills something smaller and lighter would be an alternative to the 150P ....

Any one think of any good OTA options out there :D

Hi Jasper!

80mm refractor is what many consider the gold standard for 'grab-n-go' astronomy. Light enought to put on any mount (including a sturdy camera tripod!) and fairly inexpensive in its basic versions. (you can go broke on one too!)

The other thing you may consider is a small maksutov scope. I have a 127mm Mak that is a blast. These things are typically long focal lengths though (f/10 - f/15), and that makes them best for lunar and planetary work - not so much for deep sky. But then again, "deep sky" and "grab-n-go" don't usually go together anyway. Kind of like clams and peanut butter - both good on their own, but.... :D

Dan

Archived