what's a better scope to buy Meade etx 90at or skywatcher 130p goto

Hi Scott, welcome to the site.

Am new here myself, just started off a couple of weeks ago.

As I dont have a basis for comparison I really cant advise if the 'Meade etx 90at' is any good. . . However, I do own the 'skywatcher 130p' an its a great scope if you are just starting out.

This is my post re the skywatcher 130. . .

http://stargazerslounge.com/beginners-help-advice/135549-new-astronomy.html

Hope this is of some help.

Steve,

P.S - If you havent already done so, This is by far the most useful tool / program Ive found with regards to helping new poeple get started

http://www.stellarium.org/

Free planetarium program - very easy to use. Has helped me out loads. . .

Would guess these are 2 utterly different scopes. The ETX is a Mak on an Alt/Az mount, I presume that the 130P is a reflector on an EQ mount.

The 130P will need collimating at regular intervals, but once learnt should be no problem.

The ETX will give greater magnifications.

The 130P has a bigger objective.

I would say that the ETX will be easier to live with as it should need no adjustments at all.

The Mak will get along fine on relatively inexpensive plossl's, the 130P may be a bit more demanding.

The 130P will deliver wider views.

The difference/advantage between the two will most likely be one of personal preference.

the main selling points of the etx range are their portability which is fine if thats what you need but apparture counts and the difference between a 3and a half inch and a 5 inch is quite large the 130p will give clearer brighter images and the etx will magnify better hat being said the etx 90 is really good for planetary and the moon and maybe a few of the brighter clusters it doesn't really have the apparture for nebulas the 130p is also significantly cheaper and can see more If you want a mak heres one on a goto mount Maksutov - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO its cheaper than the etx bigger apparture and no need to collimate it won't frame the larger dso's as nicely as the 130p but it will be able to see dso's and is great on planets and the moon if I was getting a mak thats the one I would get, but of the choices you have given I believe the 130p to be better

Archived