NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Computer control Skywatcher auto dob?

Hi,

I have a skyliner 250 auto (not the goto version) on an AZ dob mount The handset allows me to slew the scope and track objects once centered.

I have been looking about (unsucessfully) to try and find out if it is possible to computer control the scope with one of the many bits of software available. I notice that the software all seems to work with GEM mounts and not AZ mounts.

Does anyone know if it is possible to do this?

BTW, I am aware I could upgrade my handset to a goto version to acomplish this, but am trying to do this without spending another £200!

Thanks for any advice.

John

It should be possible to control your mount using an interface such as this one Supatrak hack. There is also a commercial solution if you have a bluetooth dongle Bluetooth interface for autotracking mounts. The device uses this circuit board available from Tronisoft. This article Merlin multifunction interface gives a bit more info (in french].

Peter

Peter,

Thanks very much for those resources. I spent almost a whole day (at work!) looking for that sort of info without finding it.

Now I just need to refresh my electronics knowledge (and my French!)

Thanks

John

Archived