NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Solar observing help

Hi all,

I have a 130mm Newtonian reflector and want to have a go at observing the sun. Is it recommended with this type of scope and if so what filters will I need. Thanks

If it's a closed tube design then you can fit a white light solar filter over the front (open) end of the scope to see the sun in White. The filter removes 99.99% of the suns energy so you don't get blinded.

You need to be very careful when looking at the sun.

Hi Stuart,

Thanks for the info. Goggled white light solar filter, and I am toying with the idea of buying some Baader AstroSolar Safety Film ND 5.0, and making my own holder from info given on Baader website.

and whichever method you use to attach it, make sure it is secure and in no danger of falling off while you use it. you would be blinded and the scope ruined (although that may be a secondary consideration if you are blinded??)

Archived